Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Springwater Watercolor of The Rosemary Spring

One of the lesser known springs in Saratoga Springs, is the youngest of the springs in Saratoga, the Rosemary Spring. The Rosemary Spring sits on the property of the Grand Union Motel on South Broadway, behind the Crystal Spa. 





 James Benton built the Grand Union Motel in 1953, the same year the world famous Grand Union Hotel was razed. Later, in 1960, James Benton served as mayor of Saratoga, and served for four years, replacing Addison Mallery, a mayor who held the office for 25 years. James drilled the spring in 1964, and he named it after his wife, Rosemary. Rosemary was the proud mother of 12 children, 6 boys and 6 girls. The Six Sisters Bed and Breakfast on Union Ave is reference to the six Benton sisters, with sister Kate Benton being the proprietor. 
  Just as the State's Roosevelt and Lincoln baths utilized the natural healing waters of the springs, in 1988, the Bentons built a spa/bath house, and piped their private spring, the Rosemary Spring, into what they named ''The Crystal Spa'', and it is used for their baths to this day. One of the 6 daughters, Agatha, ran the spa for the family.

 The water is comparable to the Old Red Spring, for it's skin healing qualities, and I have heard that the Old Red Spring doesn't contain the same properties it used to, making this the best in Saratoga for skin issues. A sweet Saratoga history tidbit, the Grand Union Motel and Crystal Spa's marble flooring is from the Grand Union Hotel.
 The property was recently sold by the Benton family, and then resold, to the person who is also developing the old Ellsworth Ice Cream plant property on Division St. 
 I really hope they retain that spring, it would be a waste to cap such amazing water. I noticed the mineral deposits had not hardened yet, and when I pinched some off the fountain, it stained my finger tips!!!! I got so excited, I knew for a fact this would transfer to paper or canvas, and sure enough, voila!!! It is about as a direct interpretation as I can get. I hope you dig it. This painting was done with Rosemary's Springwater, brown, orange and red, all color derived from mineral deposits. I am sooo stoked. All paintings by yours truly, George DeMers. 




Most spring's tufa has hardened, this was soft as butter. 




Got my "paint" ready!

Yeah, the clogged drain makes for a mess, but that new formed muck is a blessing for me! 


Check out that orange!!!! It works great!!!!!!



Thanks for checking me out! Read the rest of my blog, it rules!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much again for coming to visit our spring and making that amazing painting from the minerals! You're truly talented, and The Spa is very grateful for your art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Victoria for the kind words! I will be back sooner than later, thanks for remembering me! :)

    ReplyDelete