Friday, May 8, 2015

Universal Preservation Hall photos

I recently got to explore the inside of the Universal Preservation Hall on Washington St. for a photo contest. The UPH is an old church, built in 1871, and it's bell tower is the tallest structure in Saratoga Springs, NY.
The bell was made in Troy, NY at the Meneely Foundry. Andrew Meneely apprenticed under Benjamin Hanks, a military drummer who was involved in Paul Revere's midnight run. Also, Ben Hanks served in the Revolutioanry War under Israel Putnam, who's nephew, Gideon Putnam is considered to be the founder of Saratoga Springs. I will post the Putnam's story in the very near future.
Anyway, the stairs in the towers were dark, narrow, and spiraled in a tight dizzying spin. I creeped around, and got some good shots! Check these out, then go to the UPH page and like my photos! I entered the first three!
http://www.universalpreservationhall.org/photocontest/

This was looking out the window at the front facade, looking east toward Broadway.

Inside the Lair, that ceiling is 45 feet high!

Creepy Cool


Across the Street, sits the Betheseda Church, I caught a glimpse!


Light up disco floor and dj booth
I tried....

 These last two were a bit strange, it looked like old nuts, or prunes, though I'd figure prunes to shrivel up. This was in the bell tower. You can pul the rope and ring the bell still, pretty neat!



1 comment: